“Insured Persons” doesn’t mention Spectators. Are we covered if a spectator is injured?

A spectator who is injured cannot make a claim on the Sports Personal Injury policy. If a spectator was injured and decided to seek damages from the club alleging the club’s negligence, then the General Liability policy would respond. Important, you must not admit Liability without the Insurers consent.  Any claim made by a spectator must be referred to the Insurer as soon as possible for their instructions.

Why can’t I claim my Doctors bills on this policy?

Unfortunately the Health Insurance Act 1973 does not allow a policy of this type to cover expenses for which any Medicare rebate is made.

126 Prohibition of certain medical insurance

(1)  A person shall not make a contract of insurance with another person that contains a provision purporting to make the first‑mentioned person liable to make a payment in the event of the incurring by the other person of a liability to pay medical expenses in respect of the rendering in Australia of a professional service for which Medicare benefit is, or but for subsection 18(4) would be, payable.

Medical expenses for which there is no benefit payable by Medicare are still claimable. These include Ambulance, Physio, Private Hospital Accommodation and Dental amongst others.

Our local council has asked to be included as an Insured party under our Liability insurance, can this be done?

Council’s cannot be noted as a named Insured on the Policy. They can be listed as an interested party on Certificates of Currency, which is a legal document that demonstrates you have Public Liability Insurance.   Please click here to request a Certificate of Currency for your Public Liability policy.

Do Players need to be registered to be covered?


Are players covered whilst touring overseas?

The Football NSW Insurance Programme extends to cover insured players and officials whilst overseas for representative and/or club matches as long as all players and officials are registered with the Club and the tour is officially sanctioned by Football NSW and the Host Federation.
Although the policy covers persons whilst overseas, we recommend that Travel Insurance be effected for all players and officials to compliment the cover provided.  Travel Insurance policies generally provide high limits of medical expense coverage as well as other covers such as baggage, money, loss of deposits, emergency assistance etc.

If required we can arrange travel insurance for the touring party with which compliments the existing Sports Injury coverage and does not exclude injuries resulting from Football. To arrange a quote please contact Gow-Gates.

Will I be covered if playing for my school?

The Football NSWl Insurance Programme provides cover to registered participants within the scope of cover:

a.     Playing in official club or representative matches.

b.     Engaged in organised training

c.     Traveling directly to, from or between official matches or training and your home or work.

d.     Staying away from your home district for the purpose of participating in representative or club matches

e.     Engaged in administrative or organised social activities for your club or federation.

Matches for schools who are not playing in Football NSW competitions do not fit within that scope of cover.

If you belong to a school team who plays in Football NSW competitions then you are covered under the insurance programme whilst playing in those Football NSW Competition.

Who can I talk to about an issue or complaint?

First talk to Gow-Gates, ask for claims staff for the Football NSW Insurance Programme.

If this does not resolve the matter or You are not satisfied with the way a complaint has been dealt with, You should contact the Complaints Manager on 02 8267 9999 or put your complaint in writing to info@gowgates.com.au or by mail at

Complaints Officer

Gow-Gates Insurance Brokers

GPO Box 4731

Sydney NSW 2001

Please mark the envelope “Notice of Complaint”. We will endeavour to resolve your complaint quickly and fairly.

If your complaint cannot be resolved to your satisfaction within 21 days, you may have the right to refer the matter to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).